Guide to Getting Started as a New Physician

  • Clicking here will bring you to the Online Resource Manual for Physicians, which describes important acts and regulations and how to submit claims to get paid, among other things.
  • CMA’s New in Practice Guide, published annually, provides residents with the information they need to know before entering practice. The guide covers topics such as evaluating practice opportunities, selecting an EMR system, insurance basics and more. There is also CMA’s Practice Hotline, where CMA members get a free 60-minute consultation with a practice management expert. Find more information about both here
  • Missed a CMA PMC session at your school? Start your practice off on the right foot by consulting a series of 15 Practice Management modules. Learn more about contract negotiations, staffing, insurance basics and much more here

CPSO Number (Certificate for Independent Practice)

  •  Needed to engage in independent, unsupervised practice upon graduation.
  • Applications are usually available for download here in April of your graduating year. 

  • Follow the Registration link from the main page, then select Applications and Forms. Under the section Applications for Certificate of Registration Authorizing Medical Practice, ensure to download the application package titled “Final Year Residents in Ontario”. 
  • Cost of Member Fee

CMPA Number (Canadian Medical Protective Association)

  • You can download the application and complete the online membership from the website; it is very user-friendly. 
  • Cost: Fee is based on practice type.

WSIB Number

  • Apply here
  • Your CPSO number is required and processing time is 4–6 weeks.

OHIP – Ontario Billing Number

  • You must have your CPSO number to apply for your OHIP number.
  • The good news is that you can start working without your OHIP number and bill retroactively (up to six months) but you will need this number to get paid, regardless of the type of the practice conditions (i.e., locum vs. non-locum).
  • Application (Form 014-3384-83)
  • Cost: Free
  • Processing time: approximately one month

Hospital Privileges

  • Call the hospital where you intend to work: ask about their application process (it varies). 
  • In general, you will need photocopies of medical licenses, malpractice certificates, immunization records, CV, Certificate of Good Standing and Certificate of Adult Criminal Convictions.

Other Things to Consider

  • To make the transition to practice as smooth as possible, it is important to build a team of individuals that will help you navigate through the transition (ask around to get a few suggestions):
    • Find an accountant
    • Find a financial planner
    • Find a lawyer (to review contracts, etc.) 
    • Find a billing agent
  • Membership in Canadian and Provincial/Territorial Medical Association (CMA, OMA) 
  • Membership in the CFPC and OCFP
  • Change of Address – keep your address current

Useful Resources

Practice U (HealthForceOntario)Information on transition to practice, finding work etc. 

CMA Practice Management toolsStep-by-step guides to practice management separated into high yield modules.

CMA Practice Management Modules:  Practice modules discussing common personal and professional issues in practice.