1. Sign the Letter of Appointment (LOA) and send to your postgraduate medical education office (usually within 30 days).
2. Become a member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons (CPSO).
Mandatory membership for residency.
It takes approximately 12 weeks to process the application so send it in early.
Most schools will send in a photocopy of your medical degree automatically.
Police and vulnerable screen check can take 8 to 10 weeks.
3. Become a member of the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA).
Type of work code: 12 (without moonlighting).
The Ministry of Heath and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) normally reimburses 80% of the dues. Go to the MOHLTC website and download and submit Application Form #3889 and Direct Deposit Authorization Form #7698.
4. Become a member of the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC).
Membership is automatic and handled by your Program Director and CFPC staff in August. PGY-1 membership is free.
PGY-2 membership is automatically renewed. You will be required to pay a $102 membership fee.
5. Optional: Become a member of the Ontario Medical Association (OMA)/Canadian Medical Association (CMA).
Membership with the OMA and the CMA gives residents free access to clinical resources, access to financial and insurance advice, and discounts for members on travel, airfare, clinical tools and more.
Join the Section of General and Family Practitioners (SGFP) as a secondary OMA group.
6. Complete all hospital/program-specific requirements.
Setting up/activating new email accounts.
ACLS certification: Note that as per your PARO contract, ACLS certification costs are covered by your program.
Online training for electronic medical records (EMR) and other learning modules.
7. Immunization status: Schools will generally require evidence of tetanus, diphtheria, hepatitis B, MMR and TB testing, and N95 mask fitting.
8. Update your address on your driver’s license and vehicle registration.
This can be done online at no cost.
Visit a Service Ontario counter or kiosk, or click here.
Contact your vehicle insurance company to update your address.